Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chuck Norris Approved

Just a quick post tonight to officially make the change I've been contemplating for a few months now.  Yes, I'm officially changing one of my Operation 30 items.  Why?  Because in hindsight I realize this one wasn't really something that I should have set out to accomplish in less than a year and a half.  Which one am I changing?  #20. Sit on the Board of an Organization I'm passionate about.
While I'm not scratching this as a life bucket list item, I recognize that it will take longer to establish myself in the two organizations I've chosen to commit myself to:  Young Friends of Children's Hospital and Young Variety.  (Both are charities that dedicate themselves to sick and mentally or physically challenged children, which I'm excited to try to do my part and make a positive difference in supporting.)  
Sure, I could have scrambled to find an organization that would have let me sit on their Board simply to be able to check this one off my list, but I feel that would have been missing the point of why I originally put this one on my list in the first place.  For me this one is all about being in a position to make a positive difference in an organization whose values and mission support those less fortunate than me.  I can't begin to imagine what having a serious illness or disability must be like for the children and families who have to deal with it everyday.  So any time spent as a volunteer to help plan events that support such people feels like an extremely worthwhile effort and something I already have a lot of enthusiasm to do.  (So maybe look for this one on a rumored Operation 40 Before 40 list.)
What am I replacing as #20?  After much consideration (and bouncing this off more than a few friends), I've landed on something that I've always wanted to do but never really taken the time to learn.  Here it is (*insert drumroll sound effect):

#20.  Learn how to french brain my own hair
 TA DA!  (*Insert game show consolation music, as I know this lacks a certain pizzazz quality in comparison.)  BUT - I have to say that I'm extremely excited to take this on (with the help of YouTube), and develop a practical skill in the process.  I've been growing my hair out for about a year now, so it's finally starting to get to a good length to be able to do a lot with it, which is exciting.  Granted, I'm the furthest thing from a hair pro, but would love to be able to do more than my standard side low braid that's become a part of my regular hair rotation.  
So there it is.  I changed my list.  The good news is that I ran it by the Operation 30 Steering Committee first (me, myself and I), who gave it universal approval.  I have no qualms about the change, but wanted to formally blog about the rationale behind my decision rather than simply changing it under the radar.  




Oh, and if approval by the Steering Committee isn't enough for some of you, Chuck Norris also gave his stamp of approval on the change, so I don't want to hear any lip about it.  :-)    

PB (Post Blog) - Derby hat procurement is coming along!  Went shopping today with my friend, Ann, to get a sense of style, size, color, etc.  Much more to blog about on the subject at a later date!

No comments:

Post a Comment