Sunday, October 30, 2011

Winning Weekend

I'm just wrapping up an awesome weekend where three of my teams had big wins. That's right, the Cardinals became World Series Champs, Nebraska dominated Michigan State, and the Rams upset the Saints for their first win of the regular season.

First - the St. Louis Cardinals are 2011 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS! It was something even Cardinals fans never would have guessed would happen, considering we were 10.5 games back from even making the post-season. But it's been a great October for Cardinals baseball! I was lucky enough to make it to Game #1 and #2 in St. Louis and see the action firsthand at Busch Stadium, rally towel in hand. But the fact that Game #6 is already being called the best World Series game ever only made the Cardinal's victory in Game #7 that much sweeter.

Just where was I during this fateful moment? I was in the heart of downtown Lincoln, Nebraska, at an interesting bar called Sidetrack with my mom and dad. (Hence, why I opted for the professional photo rather than the one I took of the TV image on the projector screen at the bar.) Why was I celebrating 450 miles away? What were we doing in Nebraska, of all places? Getting ready for a Husker football game the next day, of course! Yes, this past weekend I also crossed off another item from my list:

#15. See a Nebraska football game at Lincoln Memorial Stadium - check!


It turned out to be a beautiful day for a game! The Huskers dominated the Spartans with a final score of 24-3, which was also a sweet victory as there were many who thought Michigan State would make it difficult. Wrong!

Many people ask me why I'm a Nebraska fan and why I chose to make this part of my Operation 30 list. I can only say that my dad is the biggest Husker fan I know and that I grew up watching Nebraska football and hearing him spout random Nebraska trivia constantly (which he also did on the drive up there...very true to form). Both of my parents were born and raised in Nebraska and I still have quite a bit of family up there, so I've always grown up with more than a little Husker pride. That's why I thought the fact that I had never been to a game in person was something that had to change before I turn the big 3-0. I also found out that it had been almost four decades...yes, since 1973 (*insert shocked smiley*) that my parents had been to a game in Lincoln. So I'm glad I was able to share my experience with them.

It was also great to share the experience with my cousin, Nick, and his wife, Tonya, who were at the game that day. We went to O Street after the game and had a few Bud Lights at Sandy's to catch up and celebrate the Husker's victory. I'm glad we remembered to take a picture so they're now officially a part of the blog. (Woohoo!)


And I have to mention that the win-less St. Louis Rams finally got a W today in an unexpected 31-21 win against the Saints. I can't say I'm a diligent follower, but it's been a good weekend to be a fan of St. Louis professional sports and Nebraska football!

Go Cardinals! Go Huskers! Go Rams!

Timestamp:

No comments:

Post a Comment