Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rallying the Squirrels

In less than seven days I will have run 26.2 miles in the St. Louis Rock 'n Roll Marathon. Wait - that came across wrong...not truly reflecting my emotions at the moment. IN LESS THAN SEVEN DAYS I WILL HAVE RUN 26.2 MILES IN THE ST. LOUIS ROCK 'N ROLL MARATHON! Honestly, I'm excited. While I don't feel as prepared mentally or physically as perhaps I may have in my previous two, I had a great run in Forest Park yesterday and easily exceeded my goal pace. At this point, that's pretty much all I can ask for.

I'm going with a slightly different strategy this time, trying to move as fast as I'm comfortable moving (in cruise control, of course...not race pace) for as long as I can up front. That way when factors like my left leg falling asleep and my recent foot pain issue start to bother me and my pace might fall, I'll have "buffer time" if you will, to make sure I get the PR I set out to achieve. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still secretly hoping to bust my old time out of the water. Just not going to be unhappy if I don't.

Aside from marathon greatness on Sunday, there is one other thing I might hope for in the meantime...Cardinals victories in the World Series! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that tonight the Cardinals beat the Brewers to clinch the NLCS title and earn their spot in the World Series playing the Rangers. For a team that wasn't even supposed to have a spot in the post-season, it's nothing short of amazing. I've also been lucky enough to see victories firsthand at Busch Stadium in the NLDS (versus the Phillies) and recent NLCS. Although I did laundry this weekend, I specifically did not wash the rally towel that I obtained at NLDS game #4. Anything to help! I figure I'll do my part if the Rally Squirrel does his...
Yes, the Rally Squirrel. What started as a poor squirrel darting across the field during two consecutive games at Busch Stadium during the NLDS has grown into a full-fledged Fredbird sidekick mascot and t-shirts and paraphernelia galore. Some may know that I have a specific aversion to squirrels, based mostly on my fear of them tripping me while running or sending me head over handlebars while biking. (Seriously, they're everywhere and they're not scared of anything! Especially city squirrels.) But for October I'm making a squirrel exception and am officially okay with any squirrel with the first name of "Rally"...just so long as his brothers don't trip me during the marathon. :-)

Getting close to my half birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment