Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wicked Awesome

A short lapse in updates, but with good justification. I'm now a step closer to checking another item off the list. This time it was #1 and venturing to another stadium - Fenway Park! I'm three-quarters of the way to the four more (16 total) I set out to visit by the big 3-0! This past weekend I spent a great weekend touring around Boston with my friends Diane and Shelley. It was a great trip!

We got into town on Thursday and thanks to my favorite travel ally, Trip It, wasted no time in following our planned itinerary and taking a scenic walk to lunch at the Union Oyster House. A cup of clam chowder and a seafood platter later, and we made our way towards Fenway for a tour of the stadium before the game. Our tour guide, Morry, did a great job explaining the history and sharing tidbits of the field and the team. We even got to go up in the Green Monster! It was a great supplement to the Red Sox game that night where we had awesome seats only a few rows back on the first base side. Despite the rain and the fact that the Sox lost, it was a great time and I was glad my friend, Rob, was able to join to give us the inside scoop from a true Bostonian.

Friday was an unofficial brewery tour day. Thanks to some connections through the beer biz we were able to get a special tour of Harpoon Brewery and sample some of their delectable offerings. Great experience, particularly considering the seafood chowder for lunch at No Name Restaurant. Then it was off to Sam Adam's to experience what the Boston Beer Company had to offer. Overall, not bad! Afterwards a journey on the T took us back near our next stop at Faneuil Hall where we enjoyed beers at The Black Rose and then headed to a late dinner at Strega's in Little Italy on Hanover Street in the North End. It turned out to be good preparation for the long run I was proud of completing the following morning as a part of my marathon training - 16 miles along the Charles River on vacation! Thankfully, with the running I did there was no trouble justifying the cannoli or Boston Cream Pie from Mike's Pastries. (Mmmm...)

Highlights of the rest of the trip included a Duck Boat tour, drinks at the top of the Prudential Building, shopping, college and pro football game watching, drinks at both Cheers bars, and strolling through the Harvard campus. Overall, lots of beer sampling and more clam chowder in one weekend than I've eaten in my entire life!

Regardless, it was an experience worthy of some pictures for posterity, for sure. Since I won't be able to give due diligence by posting all, here are a few favorites with a link to the full album.


Timestamp:

No comments:

Post a Comment