Monday, April 11, 2011

A Pleasant Surprise

For someone who likes to plan her life away I was recently very pleasantly surprised to cross off another item from my Operation 30 list this past week...without really planning on it. (I know - how could that be...something actually happened without extreme planning and attention to detail? I know, I know, I'm exaggerating. I'm not that bad.) Anyway...

Which one took me by surprise, do you ask?
Why, #29 - Become a National Officer for ZTA - Che-eck!


First, some may be asking, "What the heck is ZTA?" Well, it's an acronym for Zeta Tau Alpha which is the fraternity that I had the privilege to join as a college freshman at the University of Missouri-Rolla. Its also an organization that has been impacting my life in a positive way and giving me opportunities to grow as a person pretty regularly for more than a decade now. Whether it was serving my chapter as an officer during my undergraduate years, being an officer in the St. Louis Alumnae Chapter, or serving as an advisor for the collegiate women of Saint Louis University, Zeta has always stretched me as a person and given back to me much more in sisterhood and friendships than I could ever give in return. I have met some truly amazing women through ZTA. Many are my best friends. Many inspire me and push me to be a better person and do more, simply because I am in awe of all they do.

So I was truly honored last Monday when I received a call asking if I would be willing to fill a position to be vacated in May of this year serving as District President for Province 17-A. Essentially, that means I will be assisting all of the wonderful alumnae chapters within Missouri and Kansas for at least the next two years as a National Officer!
I can't wait to get started!


I often have people ask me why I continue to stay involved in my sorority or flash me a strange look when I say I have a ZTA meeting (as if I'm trying to live in the past or am too old for such a thing), which I completely understand...to many Greek life is something only for college and full of cliches about partying and pillow fights. Simply not true. Zeta Tau Alpha is and continues to be a meaningful part of my life. And so long as I continue to have the opportunity to make a difference and create positive change in an organization that I care passionately about and that has given me amazing things in return...then count me a willing and eager volunteer. :-)


Timestamp as I post (a day later than usual):

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you and cannot wait to see you fill this position!

    ReplyDelete