Sunday, February 20, 2011

Holy Sweat!

I've found a new fitness love: Bikram Yoga! To clarify, that's pronounced Bee-krahm Yoga and involves a room heated to 105 degrees F and a set series of 26 postures and two breathing exercises for 90 minutes. It's something that I've wanted to try for a while. I've been looking for a supplement to the running and biking I do otherwise and haven't yet gotten back into swimming, so Bikram Yoga seemed like a good potential activity to pick-up. Frankly, I've tried regular yoga before and it's not for me...love the stretching but barely breaking a sweat makes me feel like I haven't done anything. Substitute regular yoga with a super-sweaty-get-rid-of-all-the-toxins-in-my-system-yoga (aka Bikram) and that's something I can get behind!


My friend Sondra recommended a place in Clayton that she'd gone to before. It was right next to my Sprint store, so I knew exactly where it was. We made a date for the Saturday 8am class and knocked out #7 on my list. For a morning class, there was a surprising amount of people in the room! I wasn't used to some of the house rules...no shoes or talking in the yoga room. (Much different than the aerobics classes I'm used to where lots of noise is involved.) But the instructor was great and there were people of all skill levels there, which made me feel more comfortable as a first-timer.

After 90 minutes of extreme sweating and barely being able to hold my legs and feet through postures because of my slippery grip, I survived my first Bikram Yoga class. I can honestly say that I've never sweat that much in my life. It was great! Afterward I refueled with a Peach Recovery power smoothie from the Juice & Smoothie place in the same shopping plaza. I'm not sure how often I'll have the time or be willing to pay the $18 per class, but I'm sure there'll be more Bikram Yoga in my future.

Current timestamp:

No comments:

Post a Comment