Monday, June 20, 2011

I love it when a plan comes together!

Although it pains me to admit it, in all of the Operation 30 travel and work madness I've sort of fallen off the fitness wagon. No big deal in the grand scheme of things as I'm clearly entertaining myself with fun activities, but the fact of the matter is that the Alligator Creek triathlon is only eight weeks away and the St. Louis Rock 'n Roll Marathon is 18 weeks out (phew! but still...). This time if I'm trying to do better on the swim and improve my time significantly in the marathon, then I needed to get going on building up my base and training! Thank goodness that's exactly what I was able to do while in Kansas City this past weekend. Relying on some Hal Higdon and veteran athlete expertise, I mapped out my plan in Excel and it is now officially documented in my Google calendar...



While I can't say I was ever a huge fan of the A-team (mostly due to timing and the fact that it was popular before I had even reached kindergarten), I have to agree with Colonel on his favorite catch phrase, "I love it when a plan comes together". That's exactly how I feel now that I have this huge piece completed.

Luckily, this isn't my first rodeo so I know what will help to motivate me to stick with my training schedule:

1) New gear - namely work-out clothes and tennis shoes, and possibly a new bicycle
2) New tunes - significant iPod updating will happen this week
3) Visual reminders - print-outs of my training calendar and inspirational quotes will be posted in strategic locations
4) Friend support - people holding me accountable by asking me how training is going and being understanding when I likely won't have "just one more" or be out late when I have a long run the next morning

The trick this time is going to be learning to balance everything I've chosen to consume my life at the moment while still hopefully having time for sleep. (Not off to a good start if this post is any indication. As always, it's a post-midnight update.)

No time to over-analyze things, which is good. I've committed to it. I have a plan. Now it's time to make it happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment